The Australian Digital Capability Framework (ADCF)
In an age of increasingly rapid digital transformation, issues of job mobility, portability of skills and the need for rapid reskilling and upskilling are front of mind. Digital capability is essential to education, workplaces and engaging in today’s society.
It involves the ability to use digital technologies to define, access, manage, integrate, communicate, evaluate and create information safely and appropriately in a responsible and ethical manner.
The Framework describes the broad digital capabilities required by workers across a wide range of Australian occupations and industries. With a sector-neutral language and straightforward descriptors derived from Australian work contexts, it ensures the Framework’s relevance to users in workplace, education and training contexts.
The Framework lends itself to a wide range of users and uses including support for workforce development, skills assessments, career development, labour mobility, analysis of training package content and development of new training products and pathways, labour market analysis and benchmarking.
The benefits of the ADCF are:
- Establishing a common language within the workplace, between employers and across industries. The simple and intuitive structure of the Framework can be used for multiple purposes thereby aligning and strengthening a wide variety of efforts to build the digital capability of the nation’s workforce
- Supporting workforce development, skills assessments, career development, labour mobility, analysis of training package content and development of new training products and pathways, labour market analysis and benchmarking
- Offering explicit, detailed and contemporary information on digital capabilities that are often implicit in training products
- Supporting identification of skills gaps, upskilling and reskilling for workforce development initiatives
- Driving skills development and lifelong learning by identifying digital capabilities needed to successfully gain employment and progress in the world of work.